I’m still using a somewhat dated nexus 5x with lineageOS 15.1 (based on android 8.1.0).
But sadly even lineageOS dropped support for the device several months back.
After pondering about if for quite a while, since the phone is still perfectly fine and has enough hardware for everything I want to do, considering buying a pixel 4a and running stock, or since lineageOS is not available giving CalyxOS a try i decided to look into unofficial builds first.
There are still unofficial builds of lineageOS for nexus 5x around with current patch levels … but wiping didn’t seem very fun. Luckily you don’t need to.
Here’s the cheat sheet:
- make sure TWRP isn’t too old (3.2.x needed, i updated to current just in case (https://twrp.me/lg/lgnexus5x.html)
- make a backup just in case using TWRP
- get the updates to your phone (either download there or just copy over)
- little patch to switch to unofficial (https://archive.org/download/lineage-migration-official-to-unofficial/lineage-migration-official-to-unofficial.zip)
- get the build of your choice from https://sourceforge.net/projects/razorloves-lineage/files/bullhead/
- install with TWRP, make sure to put the patch first but it’s fine to do it in one go